Gangster worship, the pursuit of the American Dream for the rest of us.

I have to be honest, I’m not a big fan of gangster movies. I never thought that people should idolize criminals on the big screen, small screen, etc. Growing up in the South Bronx, I have personally witnessed countless of murders by the same people who’s dream is to make it to the big. Gangsters to me are people who make it big by cheating the system, not by working hard to break free the grips the status quo and in return, society can benefit from their contributions. In other words, we need more scientists teachers and leaders, rather than another drug lord who makes a living off the poors misery and pain. On the other hand, I too despise the corruption of the police and the powers to be for they too are the bane of a democratic society even more so than gangster worship. I’ve also dealt with racist cops who abuse their power so I understand the reason for this gangster worship. Or the corrupt politicians who commit crimes much worse than druglords by lying to the people who put them in power. At least you know what to expect from criminals. But when people idolize gangsters like a modern day Jesus, is a testament of how bad and fractured our society has become. at least the gangsters die in the end of these movies.

5 Responses to Gangster worship, the pursuit of the American Dream for the rest of us.

1. I agree with you. Society makes so many young people idolize gangsters through movies like this. Although directors may not think that people would have idolized movies like this, this was an unintended consequence. I don’t think there is anything pretty about the gangsters lifestyle. They are always paranoid, and can never trust anyone. The truth of the matter is that films like this are highly entertaining and appealing to audiences because it shows them a different type of lifestyle from the correct one in which they live. Many people want what they can’t have, and by watching movies like this I think it awakens something inside individuals that make them feel like a bad guy inside. This is a consequence of the society and the media, and therefore gangster movies are always very entertaining for large audiences.

2. Jesus was a criminal to the Romans and got it in the end. Same thing. Except the audience who watches these gangster movies will probably wait more than three days for scarface resurrection, but thats a totally different topic.

3. Lorena Russi says:

Ok so actually, there is this really interesting doc called ” Planet Rock: The Story of Hip Hop and the Crack Generation” which poses the argument that tony montana was idealized in the 80s. I still need to watch it, but def think its up your alley

4. Lorena Russi says:

If gangster films idolize criminals, than why is it that the criminals always die at the end? I dont think the films are really idolizing them, but rather showing how hard it is to get by and how often people take the road to success that does not require morals. I absolutely agree with the fact that we need more educators and more people who are willing to creatively break the status quo. Interestingly enough, some of those people are the same people who made these gangster films. To write them off as people who revere injustice is to oversimplify it

5. lyoung101 says:

Good stuff. Speaking on police corruption, you should try to check out “The Guard,” which is in theaters now.